Black bean breakfast burrito. Say that five times really fast. Right old tongue twister.
And actually twist is exactly what this is, because as beautiful as all those smoothies and porridges and oats are on my socials, I really want something new for breakfast. So I spotted these on Pinterest and thought YES. It doesn't involve oats, or a nutribullet and it's savoury. This is my kind of breakfast.
First off though, to find a wrap with no yeast and no wheat to keep gluten free. Now maybe I didn't shop around enough but HOLY MOLEY - wheat and yeast free wraps are super expensive (I've talked a bit about this on my Tried & Tested yeast free bread reviews here). Admittedly I only looked in Planet Organic so maybe the joke is on me, but the options were limited and fairly painful on the purse, not matter how delicious.
I got very excited when I spotted Mountain Bread Chia Seed Wraps which are yeast free (and "only" £5.25 a packet), but they're made with wheat flour so not gluten free.
So my options were Wrawp Organic Veggie Wraps (I went original) for £8.99 or Raw Wraps Spinach ones (here) for £11.49! I appreciate all the research and development that goes into this kind of product and it's great to know what I'm putting into my body is wholesome and preservative free. But wow, when you compare that to a 90p pack of burrito wraps from Tesco you really are paying quite a lot more. I guess that's the price we put on our health. Wrawp have been really kind on social media and sharing my pics, I just need to earn a bit more money now to buy them regularly!
So give this recipe a try and let me know what wraps you go for, it is SO delicious. If you're looking for a different brunch or breakfast recipe for the weekend then this is the one. Just savour that wrap won't you?!
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: 10 minutes
- 2 organic veggie wraps (I used Wrawp Original from Planet Organic)
- 125g (2 cups) canned black beans, cooked
- 60g (1/3 cup) sweetcorn
- Handful of baby leaf spinach, plus extra to wrap fresh
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 1 egg
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- Splash of olive oil to cook
1. In a pan heat the olive oil over a low heat and add the garlic, sweetcorn, black beans, red pepper and cumin and soften everything up, taking about 5 minutes.
2. Add the handful of spinach and stir this through allowing it to wilt. Season the mixture with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Break an egg into a cup and pour this into the pan, mixing it all through to allow the egg to cook. Shouldn't take more than 3-4 minutes.
I did this all together in one pan because I am super lazy and hate making extra washing up for myself. But if you want to make your scrambled egg separately then definitely do; it will probably keep it's colour and texture a bit better that way too.
4. Remove the bean mixture from the heat. On a plate, lay a wrap out and fill with fresh spinach, sliced avocado and top with your bean mixture. I added a bit of raw diced pepper for crunch too.
5. Wrap and enjoy!
Pssst!! Why not save to Pinterest for later? Then you'll never lose the recipe :)