My sister bought me green banana flour for my birthday last year. That probably sounds super weird, but along with lots of delicious gluten free pastas and some psyllium husk powder too it was easily one of the best presents I got! You've got to love when your family help and support your fascination for health foods.
So I decided to use this flour for pancakes for Pancake Day. Green banana flour is gluten free and can be eaten on a paleo diet. It is also apparently high in resistance starch which researchers are looking into for its ability to reduce the risk of colon cancer, obesity, and diabetes. So potentially another great addition for your diet.
These pancakes are super fluffy and quick to make. I am always a big champion of a savoury pancake - for years on Pancake Day I'd always go for a savoury option with fillings like peppers, spinach, cottage cheese or smoked salmon, rather than the classic sugar and lemon or Nutella. So this recipe can be adapted to whichever you prefer - savoury for a main meal, or sweet with berries and yoghurt for a dessert!
SERVES: Makes 2 large pancakes, or 3/4 small ones
PREP TIME: 5 minutes
COOK TIME: 10 minutes
- 65g (1/2 cup) green banana flour
- 120ml almond milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- IF MAKING SWEET PANCAKES: 1 tbsp vanilla essence and 1 tbsp stevia
- Coconut oil for frying
- Filling or topping of your choice - I used raspberries, yoghurt and walnuts in the pictures
1. In a large mixing bowl whisk together all the ingredients until completely blended.
2. Heat the coconut oil in a pan. Spoon a ladle full of mixture into the pan, or if you're aiming for taller, fluffy pancakes like the ones in my pictures then use a cooking ring and spoon the mixture into that.
3. Cook for 2-3 minutes on one side and then remove the ring once the batter has cooked and firmed up. You might need a knife run around the edges to get it to drop out.
4. Flip the pancake and cook for 2-3 minutes on the other side, or until golden brown on both. Remove from the heat and repeat the process with the rest of the batter.
5. Serve up with filling or topping of your choice!
Psst! Pin this to Pinterest and keep the recipe where you'll find it again!