I was in a rush to leave the house the other morning and somehow managed to stumble across this recipe for perfectly sweetened porridge. I was throwing it all in a tupperware to bung in the microwave at work and put in a teaspoon of whatever I could grab at the front of the cupboard. Turns out it's genius - maybe I should develop more recipes this way?!
No honey, no maple syrup, no sugar- this porridge just has a few other secret healthy ingredients I'll share with you to make your body sing in the morning.
I've talked about the benefits of maca before on the blog in this recipe for maca porridge - famed for its energy, memory and mood boosting properties.
To sweeten the deal further this recipe has cinnamon and ginger too. Ginger is potentially linked to helping with chronic indigestion for those who have tummy trouble - Authority Nutrition says ginger "appears to speed up emptying of the stomach, which can be beneficial for people with indigestion and related stomach discomfort." And of course it tastes great.
So get stuck in and let me know what you think! Is it sweet enough for you?
PREP TIME: 2 minutes
COOK TIME: 10 minutes (or 3 minutes in the microwave!)
- 30g (1/3 cup) gluten free oats
- 300ml (1/3 cup) milk of choice
- 1/2 banana
- 1 tsp maca powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- Toppings of your choice
1. If you're making this on the go like I was throw all the ingredients into a tupperware and then microwave for 3 minutes when you're ready to eat. Take the banana with you and then just smash up that half and mix in before the microwave, and use the other half fresh on top!
2. If you've got time, you can cook this on the hob. Add all the dry ingredients plus the banana to a small saucepan or milk pan. Pour in two thirds of the milk and place the saucepan over moderate heat.
2. Stir the pan continuously. The porridge will thicken quickly as the oats soak up the liquid. Keep adding milk or even just water until you get the consistency you want. If you want a more creamy porridge, add a tablespoon of coconut oil.
3. Pour the porridge into a bowl and add your toppings of choice.
Why not pin on Pinterest and save for later? Click the link on the picture below!