I don't know what has got into me lately but I am totally chocolate obsessed. I am going to blame it entirely on moving in with my boyfriend who is also more than partial to a bit of the cocoa stuff.
I have no idea how reliable the sources are but if you look up chocolate cravings some believe your body is after magnesium, and particularly for women its a mineral level that drops during the second half of a menstrual cycle. So maybe I should be checking my hankering for chocolate against when I'm due...?!
Regardless I decided that a seriously indulgent chocolate smoothie recipe was well overdue on the Pantry. I've included loads of things I hope will already be in your Pantry (check my kitchen staples article for more on how to stock your kitchen for great healthy eating) and other ingredients that can be used in plenty of other recipes.
I only just missed World Chocolate Day with this one. But it'll be ready here for next year, right?!
SERVES: 1 (generous portion!)
PREP TIME: 5 minutes
COOK TIME: 0 minutes
- 200ml almond milk
- 1 tbsp chocolate almond butter (I used Karmen's Kitchn Almond Cacao Spread but there are plenty on the market)
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tbsp hemp protein (I used Purasana Hemp Protein Powder but Linwoods do great ones in their Hemp+ range too)
- 1 tbsp oats
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 banana (ideally frozen, but fine if not)
- 10 blanched hazelnuts
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Toppings of choice: I used chia seeds, almonds, hazelnuts, oats and chopped up half a Fulfil Milk Chocolate and Mint bar but you can use anything you like!
1. Blitz all ingredients together (apart from toppings) in a food processor or nutribullet until completely combined.
2. Serve in a bowl and top with your favourite toppings!
Psst! Why not pin on your Pinterest for later?