Last month I got a bit obsessed with making these sweetcorn fritters for breakfast. I don't know what it was my body was saying to me that it needed in sweetcorn: it contains vitamin B1, vitamin B5, vitamin C, phosphorus, manganese, folate and dietary fiber. Wonder what I was missing?!
They are based on Bill Granger's recipe but I've substituted the flour for gluten free which I didn't find had any negative effect. I've also upped the spices a bit because I think they can take it!
These fritters hang together so well and have a great combination of spices, onion and juicy corn. Served up with avocado and fresh coriander and that's breakfast perfection right there.
SERVES: 4 people, or makes around 10 fritters (they chill and can be reheated)
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: 6-8 minutes
- 350g sweetcorn (canned or from cob)
- 150g gluten free flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 4 spring onions
- 125ml water
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Handful of fresh coriander, rough chopped
1. Combine all the ingredients together into a sloppy sweetcorn batter. Don't worry if it looks a little runny, it really will stick together as it cooks.
2. Heat some oil in a pan and dollop a tablespoon of batter mix into the pan, flattening down and shaping if you want.
3. Squeeze as many as you can in using the same technique. Cook for 3-4 minutes on one side and then flip to do the same on the other side.
4. Remove from the pan and onto a plate with kitchen roll to soak up any excess oil.
5. Serve with sliced avocado, fresh coriander and spring onions.
Why not Pin to Pinterest for later?