In my continued quest for snack balls that aren't made with dried fruit these were next on the 'to try' list and they are yummy.
The recipe is inspired by Healthy Eating Jo on Instagram and grabbed me because, as well as being made with no need for dates, it uses my favourite matcha flavour and remind me of Asia (see my matcha green tea 'Frappuccino' for more on my love).
Jo uses Vanilla Matcha made by The Beauty Chef, but I've replaced this in my version with a standard matcha powder and boosted it with some vanilla protein powder. I love the Purition ones which come in sachets which slightly takes the financial edge off buying an enormous barrel of the stuff.
These balls are really sweet which is great without dried fruit. I'm enjoying trying stevia in recipes too, a sweetening ingredient championed by Sarah over at I Quit Sugar. Have you tried it yet?
SERVES: Makes 9-10 balls
PREP TIME: 30 minutes
COOK TIME: 0 minutes but chilling or freezing required to firm up
- 5 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tbsp vanilla protein powder (I used Purition Raw Vegan Hemp Vanilla which is dairy free)
- 1/2 tbsp green matcha powder (I used Clearspring Japanese organic)
- 3 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp granulated stevia
- 80ml (1/3 cup) coconut water
- Crushed pistachios and extra desiccated coconut to roll
1. Mix all the dry ingredients together (not the coconut water!), making sure they are all combined.
2. Slowly add the coconut water, mixing together and allowing the liquid to be soaked up.
3. When you've got a good squidgy consistency and the mixture is holding together get your hands in and compress the mixture into a ball.
4. Divide the mixture into 9 or 10 individual portions and roll them into balls in your hands. Roll the balls in crushed pistachios or desiccated coconut to decorate.
5. Chill the balls in the fridge for at least 2 hours if you want a squidgy consistency, or freezer for a firmer texture. Or just eat straight away, honestly they're seriously yummy....