When I posted pictures of this recipe on my Instagram story I got several people asking how to make the tahini dressing. It's the classic thing of having something in the cupboard that you only use for one dish and then don't know what to do with the rest of the jar.
And you're probably with them - made your own hummus and then got tahini lurking in your pantry? It's one of the ingredients I recommended in my Kitchen Staples a few months ago and I've got a whole list of tahini recipes collected on Pinterest if you want to take a peak for even more inspiration.
This is a fantastic very simple sauce that can go with so many dishes. It's a lovely salad dressing and goes really well with other veggies too like kale (see my breakfast recipe for egg, kale and tahini on toast) or tomatoes or drizzled over cooked salmon, tofu, or chicken breast.
Here the tahini sauce is served with baked aubergine which is so easy to prepare and makes a fab light lunch.
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOK TIME: 30-40 minutes
- 1 large aubergine
- 1⁄2 pomegranate, de-seeded
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- 1 tbsp tahini paste
- 2+ tbsps warm water
- salt and pepper to taste
- squeeze of lemon
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 °C / gas mark 4. Slice the aubergine in half and make slices into it on the diagonal both ways. The skin stays a bit tough so do make sure you cut nice and deep so you can scoop out the flesh.
2. Place the aubergine onto a baking tray and rub into the flesh the olive oil, sesame oil and a good grind of salt and pepper. Put in the oven and roast for 30-40 minutes, until the flesh is soft and coloured.
3. While the aubergine is roasting put your tahini paste into a mug or small dish and add the garlic granules. Stir together to combine, together with a pinch of salt.
4. Slowly, and I really mean slowly, add the warm water. If you add it too quickly the whole lot will split (oil + water !). But adding slowly and continually stirring the tahini and water should blend together and start to thin. Add as much water as you want to get the consistency desired. I still quite like a thick sauce, so only go with about 2 tablespoons.
5. When the aubergine is cooked serve on a bed of salad (I went rocket), scatter with the pomegranate seeds and drizzle with the tahini dressing. Enjoy!