Winter just doesn't quite want to leave us this month. As March approaches we're set here in Ireland as well as the UK for plummeting temperatures that will make it colder than in the Alps or at the North Pole apparently!
This kind of weather is the perfect excuse to serve up a big hearty one-pot dish. I made this one and then was able to Tupperware up lots of portions and freeze them ready for easy lunches or dinners which I'd highly recommend.
My creamy cashew pasta was such a hit earlier this year on the blog that I'm glad I've got another opportunity to show you how versatile an ingredient cashew sauce is. The creaminess it adds to this dish really completes it.
This dish uses loads of ingredients that I have on my Kitchen Staples blog post and also my forthcoming e-book which is all about stocking your cupboards for healthy eating. I'm pretty much written now and just want to get it checked over by a few people first before I release it into the world.
So excited to share it with you all - sign up to my mailing list to make sure you're the first to know about it when it gets released.
Another little addition to this recipe is my second ever YouTube video! I did this one in a bit of a hurry I will admit, but I thought given it was a one pot dish it lent itself nicely to the quick recipe format. Have a look and let me know what you think - I've refined a few of my editing skills and added music to this one so I think it's a bit more engaging.
PREP TIME: 20 minutes
COOK TIME: 1 hour
- Olive oil for cooking
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into small dice
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and roughly chopped (reserve any fronds to garnish)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dry rosemary (or a fresh sprig if you have one)
- 200g lentils
- 1.4 litres chicken or vegetable stock
- 250g pasta
- 150g kale, roughly chopped with tough stalks removed
- 100g cashews
- 1 big handful parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add the onion, carrot, fennel, garlic and paprika to a large, deep pot with some olive oil. Cook gently, stirring occasionally, for eight to 10 minutes, until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the tomatoes, herbs, lentils and stir for minute or two, so everything is well coated.
- Pour in the stock and bring to a gentle simmer. Leave to cook for 15-20 minutes, until the lentils are done but still have some bite.
- Stir the pasta into the pot then cook for 10-12 minutes, stirring often so the pasta doesn’t stick together; add the kale to the pot after five minutes.
- When the pasta is al dente and the liquid has reduced to a sauce, stir in the cashew cream and bring to a boil. Before serving, stir in the parsley, check the seasoning and transfer the pasta to bowls.
- Garnish with more parsley and any fennel fronds you've managed to save and serve.
Why not pin to Pinterest and save for later?